Thursday, January 13, 2011

Our Love Story, part 1

Hey ya'll! I decided that today would be as good of a day as any to tell our love story. Let me start by first saying that I was in a relationship during my 4 years at college. It was an unstable, unhealthy relationship...complete with screaming fights, lies, heartbreak, and multiple breakups. After I graduated from college, I moved to Shreveport. My then boyfriend had another year in college, which was in Pineville...about 2 hours away. We continued to date off and on and then through the grace of God we broke up for good in the summer of 2009. I can only attribute getting out of that unhealthy relationship to God...he kept me strong and kept me believing that there was something better out there for me. So anyway, yeah, summer 2009...I'm truly single for the first time since 2004.



After the breakup of that long relationship, I was not looking for anything serious. I actually prayed for God to show me that I could be single and happy on my own. I prayed and asked God not to lead me to another man until he was the one I was going to marry.

Here enters one of my work besties. At this point, we had worked together for a year and she had seen how miserable I was in my previous relationship. She always joked about "finding someone better" for me, but I never thought anything else of it. One day, she had Justin (my husband) over to her house to mow her yard. It had been several years since she had seen Justin and they spent time talking and catching up on life. As soon as he left her house, she texted me saying, "I have found the perfect man for you. Ya'll are going to get married." I laughed it off and kept saying things about not needing a man and not wanting to get married anytime soon. Over the next few days, she kept talking about him and going on and on about how wonderful we would be together. I had only been single for about 2 months and Justin had JUST gotten out of a relationship, so neither of us were looking for anything. She literally forced us into meeting by tagging us both in a random picture one day on Facebook. She "suggested" that we become friends on Facebook, and of course we did...honestly because it would've been rude to hit the ignore button. Ha!


So one night, Justin sent me a chat message on Facebook and we talked back and forth for awhile. He seemed super nice, but I just really didn't feel like I was ready for anything. Over the next several days, we kept talking and he eventually asked me out on a date. ON FACEBOOK! Yes, I know, the horror! Haha! We love to laugh about that even now! I agreed to go on a date with him.

Our first date was August 21, 2009...a Friday night. The very first time that I heard his voice was that night on the phone, as he called to get better directions into my neighborhood. I remember being SO nervous! I hadn't EVER been on a "blind" date! When I opened the door, my heart dropped to my knees. Literally, he took my breath away. He was handsome and had a gorgeous smile and blue eyes that looked like the sky on a summer day (I feel like Blanche from the Golden Girls...anyone? Anyone??)! We went out to eat at Logan's that night. He was a true Southern gentleman...he opened my car door every time and held the door open for me. I wasn't used to that at all! The conversation was natural and easy...we spent several hours just enjoying each other's company. After dinner, we went over to the house of the friend who had introduced us. We spent several hours there, just talking and laughing and playing games with her and her children. Later that night, he took me home and we said our awkward first date goodbyes.


I vividly remember what happened next. I immediately called my mom...of course! I am a true momma's girl! I told her about the date: what he looked like, what he acted like, how he opened the doors, what he said, etc. She listened through it all and then said, "Well, so what do you think? Do you like him?" I paused a moment and then said the truest words I've ever spoken. I said, "Mom, he's the kind of guy that I would marry." Cue the heavenly music and confetti! Ha! We hung out the very next day and then that Sunday he met my mom. Yes, two days into it, he met my mom! She came into town for a church conference and he stopped by to see me and meet her. She loved him...she wanted him as a son-in-law. Ha.

So, ya'll think we started dating right then and fell in love right away? WRONG!!

Guess you'll have to wait for part 2! : ) Thanks for reading along! Hope ya'll are having a wonderful day!!

Love, love!

Edit: Click here for part 2!


52 comments:

Ash said...

oh what a TEASE! haha I can't wait for part two! This inspires me to do my love story, too! (along with bachelor party, wedding, and honeymoon recaps) :) Yay!!

Nicole said...

I can't wait to read the rest of your love story! So sweet!

Jamie said...

Loving the story so far :) Can't wait to hear the rest!

moderndaywife said...

Can't wait to hear the rest! :-)

Emily P. said...

so cute! (my husband and I broke up and got back together once via text...nearly as bad as Facebook...haha!) Oh, and your first date is my hubby's b-day!

Mrs. Mama said...

OH I LOVE THIS! What an amazing first part of the story... you are leaving me with suspense.. I CAN'T wait to read the rest!

Amanda said...

I love this!! So sweet!!

Rebekah said...

Oh, I hate that you ended it. :) I can't wait to read what happens!

amanda said...

This is so sweet so far! I'm ready for part two :)

Mrs. V said...

Hi, thanks for your comment on my post. I'm a new follower to your blog. I love reading your love story, you had me a little teary! I also called my mom immediately after my first date with my, now husband and told her the exact same thing! Can't wait to hear part 2!!

Ashley Lauren said...

ahhhh I love this post!!!! I'm a hopeless romantic and the first half of your story is a lot like mine except I'm still single lol. I just haven't met anyone worth my time....and I'm reallyyyyy picky ha. Anyways, Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!
xoxo

Victoria said...

aww, such a sweet story. Kind alike mine, except facebook wasn't involved. haha

Ashley @ Life Is Beautiful said...

Awww! Ok, now I'm ready for part 2. haha

Ashley said...

wow - this is like a juicy novel! please write part 2 soon! :)

Sarah U. said...

Great part 1!! Looking forward to part 2! Like Ashley said, It's totally like a juicy novel!

Megan said...

SO cute..is very similar to my "love story"...same past breaks up..except facebook was myspace..gasp..and he met my mom on our second date as well..I can so relate! can't wait to hear the rest :) xx

Hannah @ The New Black said...

I like this idea...can't wait to hear part two!

Kristy said...

Great idea! Looking forward to the part 2

I'm AE Jones said...

DARLING!! Can't wait to read the rest!! xoxo

PS- don't forget to email me your address so I can send you your win from my giveaway. :) (If you still want it. No worries if you don't.) aejonestheblog@gmail.com

Brittany @ Boots and Pearls said...

:) Aw! So sweet! I love reading about how people met and their love story! YAY!

Sam {fitnessfoodandfaith.blogspot.com} said...

great story!! love it. can't wait for part 2 :)

In My Tennis Shoes said...

ahhh, the anticipation!! :D

Preppy Twin said...

Oh, my goodness! I absolutely love your LOVE story. :] I was so so excited as I was reading it and then....part 2. I can't wait to read part 2. I fell in LOVE with part 1. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Lindsay said...

Ahhh I can't wait to read the next part!!!

Kristen said...

so cute! facebook played a part in my and hubby's romance too...what would we do without the joys of modern technology!?

ps love the golden girl's reference!

Katelyn said...

can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Savannah said...

Such a sweet story so far! Can't wait for the rest!
Thanks for entering my giveaway! Have you down for 1 entry!!

Kim said...

Loved that you shared that story! It's funny how you just instantly click with some people, isn't it? Can't wait to hear the rest of it!

Young and Fabulous said...

awww I cant wait to see part 2! I want to write about my love story now! (tho im not married..but 4 yr dating and the way my bf and i met was SO CREEPY)!

love this and love how facebook caused this love..hahah amazing

xoxoxo

Alisha said...

Love the suspense lol... "So, y'all think...??(errr) WRONG!" I can just hear the game show buzzer blaring loud after that question! Love it :) Waiting for Part 2!!

Jennifer said...

awwww thank goodness for facebook! <3

Real Life Reslers said...

i'm loving this! can't wait for part 2! My hubby and I actually got to know each other on myspace HAHAHA!! that was back in 2006 when people still had myspace.....

Suze said...

girl seriously you cant do this to me, what a tease for real. it was a sneak peek and i want to know part 2 before i cry ha ha. its been a rough day so this made me smile. you must have known how i LOVE love stories hehe:)

{av} said...

I want Part II NOW! What a sweet story of how you found one another...God really does work in the most incredible ways, huh? xoxo {av}

CMae said...

Craziness! We are more alike than I thought! LOL I was also in a 4 year relationship....Met my SR yr of college, dated seriously and then he took an internship in NC and had to drive NINE hours to Ohio to see me on weekends. Then I graduated, moved to AZ, a few months later he moved to Cali. Was still long distance. How it lasted 4 years I have no idea. Lots of heartbreak because of lots of lying on his behalf...ANywho......I was single for 2 years before I met my man now and that was via FACEBOOK! LOL That's all I'll write since I don't want to write a novel on your wall!

Sarah said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story! The first part is SOO good!

Heather said...

Awww, what a sweet story :)...besides the unhealthy ex. I'm so glad that you have a loving husband now :).

Can't wait to hear part 2!

Faith said...

this is so sweet to read! can't wait for part 2!

Meredith! said...

if you wrote a book, id be the first to buy it! i just love reading your posts! sooo sweet!

Leslie said...

Okay, you are super talented with writing. I CANNOT wait to read the next part!!!

Michaela said...

Ah! I'm intrigued! Tell me more, tell me more! It's adorable so far and didn't know you met on FACEBOOK. Too funny. Love ya friend!

Tatiana said...

I love hearing about how love stories get started. Looking forward towards reading part two :-)

The Brady Bunch said...

I can't wait to hear the rest!!

Kelly said...

Oh facebook. Bringing love to the surface!

Tiffany said...

Thank God for great friends! Can't wait to read the rest.

Mrs. Martin said...

such a sweet love story!

Lilianna Grace said...

Adorable!

Sara Rae said...

I can totally relate to the unhealthy ex and finally finding someone worthwhile after them. Can't wait for part 2!

Kerr said...

this is such a good story!! I cant wait to hear the rest :)

Café Moka said...

Loving the story so far!
Check out my love story, I wrote about it back in November!

http://ilovecafemoka.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-i-met-my-boyfriend.html

Kaitlin Godfrey said...

I love this so far...I swear, when you know you know...I called my mom after our first date and said I was going to marry my husband too!!

Bethany said...

OMGah! Y'all were on your first date when I was on my honeymoon!! We got married 8*15*09.