Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What 27 Looks Like

I turned 27 this past Saturday and while I'm not silly enough to say "I'm so old," I must admit that this is the first age where I thought that in my head. I don't know what it is about 27, but it just sounds so much more adult-like and mature than 26. Or maybe I'm just crazy. 

I've been doing a little bit of reflecting lately (I think it's the pregnancy hormones!) and I thought I'd share a little bit about where I pictured myself at 27 versus where I really am. 

- I thought that I would have at least one child by now, if not two. I always pictured myself getting married right out of college and having babies quickly. So thankful that I trusted my heart and waited on God to give me my soul-mate, even if it took a little bit longer than I had planned. And now here we are expecting a baby girl in two months. God's plan is perfect. 

- I figured that I would have gone back to school by now. I have always enjoyed school and I planned to go back and get my master's, but now I honestly have no desire to do that...at all. I'm happy where I am in my job and I want to focus on our family.

- I never thought that I'd have had a miscarriage...at this age or at any age. I don't know all the reasons why our first baby had to go to heaven so quickly, but I do know that it has shaped me as a person and a mother. I appreciate the miracle of pregnancy more now than ever before. It may seem common because it happens so much, but it doesn't happen for everyone. It really is a true miracle and I will never take it for granted. 

Photobucket

It's crazy how I had "plans" for my life, thinking that it would be perfect MY way, but really the best plans are all the Lord's and the only perfect way is HIS way. And I really wouldn't change any of it at all. He knows all the desires of my heart. 

I am so blessed.

27 is going to be a great year. 


34 comments:

Kaileigh said...

It's funny how I assume everyone is 25 because that's how old I am! So you don't look a day over 25 to me! Happy Birthday Megan. I hope this is your best year yet!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Megan! I'm thinking you have a wonderful year ahead :)

Faith said...

Happy Birthday! 27 is going to be a great year for you :)

Beautiful post!

Jenna said...

Happy Birthday Megan! It really is amazing how God can see the bigger picture in our lives even when we can't! I have a feeling 27 is going to be your best year yet :)

xxx
Jenna

Julie said...

Happy birthday - when you get to my ripe old age of 31 then you realize you're old! ;)

Heather said...

Happy Happy Birthday! 27 looks great on you! And I can't wait to see how your year is going to play out! xoxo

Brooke said...

Your are a yungster! ;-)


=)


Happy Holidays,


Brooke

Myrna Wilson said...

Happy Birthday!
I think I had that feeling around 27 too. I'm 31 now and I feel like something about getting past 30 makes this the happiest time period.

Being pregnant with out first baby, also a girl, may have something to with it. :-)

Here's to a great year!

http://wilsonfamilyproject.blogspot.com/

Myrna Wilson said...

*our*

Heather (GurleeGirrl) said...

Happy Birthday Megan!!!!

Jodi said...

It is funny how you think you will be in a certain "place" by a certain age and then you get there and things are so much different! But all works out for a reason so you are right! Happy Birthday!

Lauren Nicole said...

Happy Birthday, pretty! Looking forward to seeing your new year unfold! You're going to make a wonderful mom.. Two more months!! xo

Candace said...

27 looks beautiful on you! It has been my best year too:)

C.Curley said...

I'm turning 27 next week and I feel the same way about suddenly feeling older and more like an adult than ever before. I think it's especially apparent because I work at a University, so I'm always surrounded by college students who are 18-22. They are always shocked to hear how old I am or when I started college (most of them were in like 7th or 8th grade then!). And I also thought my life would be very different now than it is. But I LOVE the way it is turning out. God's plan is SO perfect! Happy birthday!! :)

Ashley said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! I feel the same about 27 :)

Mrs. Kee said...

Beautiful post Megan! I'm turning 26 next month and you're right, for some reason 27 seems more adult to me than 26. I think 27 will be a magnificent year for you and I am so happy for you! Happy Birthday Megan!

Mrs. Miller said...

Happy Birthday!

Sheila Lynn said...

Happy Birthday!! A great it will be for you & your hubby, indeed!!!!

Traci said...

Happy belated Birthday!!!

Lauren said...

Hope you had an amazing birthday :-)

dr3am3r said...

you know, i think it's the simple fact that 27 is 4 syllables long. it's more weighty.

like this: twen-ty sev-en

:D

happy birthday!

Life With Lauren said...

Happy late Birthday!

Katie said...

Happy belated bday! I love how much perspective comes with age. And I'm pretty sure 27 will be your fav year yet :)

Ashley said...

Happy belated birthday! I am going to be 28 in about a month and I seriously feel so old. :(

tara said...

happy birthday!! this is going to be a great year for you!

Lexilooo said...

happy birthday to you!

Nicole said...

Happy late birthday, sweet Megan! I am so excited about all the Lord is doing in your life. I know motherhood is going to be the most amazing ministry for you. Thank you for being such a light for Him!!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday pretty little mama :) I hope your day was wonderful!! You've been a blessing to me so thank you! Love you a bunch! :) XO

Beth Ann said...

Love this post, my birthday buddy. ;) I never would have thought that I would have lost a baby either. Never did it EVER enter my mind as a possibility when I thought about my future all those years ago. But you are right- God makes beauty from pain and through our losses He has equipped us with stronger relationships with Him, perspective, greater appreciation, and another wonderful reason to look forward to Heaven. Here's to being 27! Love you, girl.

Jade :) said...

Now that I've turned 27 I always forget how old I am! :l you're right though 27 does sound so much older...it's probably because its wayyyyy closer to 30! -.- happy birthday btw!! :)

Holly said...

You are a BEAUTIFUL young 27 year old :) Hope you had a great day!! I know 27 is going to be a great year for you!

Natalie said...

Happy belated birthday! And yes I remember turning 27 and thought why does 27 sound so much older than 26? But you are still young my dear and yes 27 will be a great year!

Lisa @ MMT said...

Well happy belated birthday!!! It is amazing to think back to all the plans we make for ourselves and compare them to God's plans for our lives. I have to say he always has it right!

I am so sorry you miscarried, but I can truly tell in every picture and post, how grateful you are to have your baby girl on the way. Sometimes things happen that just can't be explained to us, but I think those are always the things that shape us into the person we are meant to be.

May your 27th year of life be your best yet!

Janna Renee said...

I didn't realize we are the same age!! That is awesome, and I can totally relate about it seeming so much older than 26!