Friday, January 4, 2013

Update on Shayleigh

A few weeks ago, I posted about one of my best friends, Nikki, and her little girl, Shayleigh. They had just found out that she had a brain tumor and were trying to figure out where to go from there. (Read that post here). 


Two weeks ago, she had surgery to remove the tumor. The great great news is that the tumor is NOT cancerous! Praise the Lord! The not so great news is that Shayleigh is having trouble recovering from the surgery and her progress has been a lot slower than they had planned for. She is having trouble using her tongue and is unable to eat or talk right now. She does understand things, but she can't vocalize anything and it's obviously very frustrating for her and for her parents. 

They are leaving the hospital today to head to a pediatric rehab facility that is about three hours away from home. They were accepted at an amazing facility and are excited to get to work on helping her make a complete recovery. They know that God is in control of all of this and is leading them and holding them, but it's still a very scary and emotional time for them right now as they worry about their daughter's recovery. 

And now here's where I need y'all to come in. First and foremost, they need prayer. Please please add them to your prayer list and commit to praying for them daily. I would also LOVE it if any of y'all would be willing to send them mail while they are at the rehab facility, whether it's a card, a care package, or a drawing that your child does. I really just want them to know that people from all over care about them and are praying for them.

If you would be willing to send them something in the mail, please leave a comment on this post or email me {Mackeymadness(at)gmail(dot)com}. 

A family friend has also made "Team Shayleigh" bracelets for everyone here to wear in support. If you would like to wear one in honor of her, please let me know and I'd be happy to get you one. 

Thanks in advance for all the prayers and love for them. 


26 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Praise the Lord that the tumor was not cancerous, that is WONDERFUL news. Will continue to pray for this sweey girl and her family during this recovery!

Lindsey @ Let the Light Shine said...

I am adding this precious child and family to my prayer list. E-mailing you now!!

Samantha said...

Still praying hard for that little angel. Could you send me the bracelet and the address I would love to send her something.

Life With Lauren said...

Will be praying!

Rach @ This Italian Family said...

I'd be happy to send them a little something!

Shelley said...

Poor baby! She and her family are in my prayers.

Lexilooo said...

sending love and prayers their way!

Traci said...

What wonderful news that it isn't cancerous!! Sending lots of prayers for a full recovery.

Leanne @ Simply Beautiful said...

You are such a sweet friend for supporting them in this way! I know all too well how painful it can be to watch a loved one go through something like this with their small, precious child.

Prayers for them are going up! :)

Hilary said...

I'd love to send a little something if you will send me their address. Are they staying at the rehab facility for a substantial amount of time? Kind of like a Ronald McDonald house?

Susan said...

Thanks for the update! I would love to send her something and wear her bracelet.

Amy said...

Thanks for the update! I will certainly be praying for her recovery, so glad to hear that the tumor was not cancerous. I would love more information on how to get a bracelet!

Amanda said...

Praise God that it wasn't cancer :)He's got the whole world in His hands.
Let me know where I can send a card!
Love you, pretty!
XO

Becky said...

I have a card to send. Please let me know the address. beckylumert at gmail.com

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

They are all in our thoughts and prayers. Will email you now to see how we can help x

Lauren said...

Sending prayers to that sweet girl & her family <3

Giggle Business said...

I'm so glad!! Will def pray for them all. I hope she makes a full recovery! I would love to send them something to show my support so will need the full american address could you please email me it: twiggytrigg1@googlemail.com I'm sure they would love to know that someone in the UK is looking out for them!

Ashley said...

So glad to hear it isn't cancerous. I will continue to pray for her recovery and I would love to have my kids make some pictures for her. my email is ashdiane1224@gmail.com

Beth Ann said...

I'd love to send them some mail. Just let me know how. :) So glad it wasn't cancerous - praise God! But can't even imagine the torture it is for your baby to be having to undergo such a trying recovery and be away from home.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

wouls love to sent them mail....Just send me address annah99@aol.com


Teresa

Kate - Classy Living said...

I'd love to send them something! Could you give me their address? classylivingblog@gmail.com

Renee Arianna said...

I can.not.imagine going through this with a child. My dad had a stroke and it reminds me of that so much. Shayleigh not understanding what's going on and not being able to communicate. Heart breaking. Truly. I would love to send them some kind of something just to let them know that people care and are praying.

Allyson Butler said...

What a blessing that the surgery went well! Lots of prayers for continuing recovery!

Ashley said...

Oh thank God it was not cancerous! Poor little sweetheart though, praying things turn around ASAP for them. I would love to send something!

P!nky said...

How wonderful the tumor is not cancerous.

Many prayers for a complete recovery.

I am more than happy to send her a letter or care pacakge, and would love a lil bracelet to wear!

xoxo

Katie said...

The definition of equally bitter and sweet? Praying for this sweet girl and her parents. I'll definitely send some mail their way!